Best Lemon Muffin Recipe
Lemon Muffins With Blackberry Puree Frosting. The lemon! I just have to say…Yum. Using real deal lemon peel! Nothing else compares. These muffins are so moist and full of fresh joy. This recipe I discovered on Sally’s Baking Addiction Website. I made some adjustments and the photo you see here is completely dairy free. They turned out amazing!!! The good news is you have options. Go full out with the real ingredients or switch it up. Either way, lemon is the key!
Lemon Muffins With Blackberry Puree Frosting
- 1 and ½ cups all-purpose flour. I used Bob’s 1:1 gluten free baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted room temperature butter or vegan spread
- 1 cup granulated sugar (I used biodynamic cane sugar)
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 and ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk or dairy free almond or oat milk
- Zest + fresh juice of two medium lemons
Blackberry Cream Cheese Frosting (can be made dairy free)
- 1 cup fresh blackberries, divided*
- 8 ounces full-fat block cream cheese, softened to room temperature (or vegan cream cheese option)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1-3 cups confectioners’ sugar (I used 1 cup to start and check sweetness. I think this is a personal choice)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat Oven to 350°F Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners
- Make the cupcakes: Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside.
- Using a handheld mixer beat butter and sugar together until creamy. Scrape down sides as needed.
- With the mixer on low, add dry ingredients.
- Keeping mixer on low, slowly pour in milk, lemon juice, and zest until just combined with no lumps. Do not overmix.
- Pour/spoon batter into liners to 2/3 full
- Bake for 18-22 minutes(mine took 19 minutes). Mini cupcakes are 11-13 minutes.
- Let cool completely before frosting
- Puree 1/2-2/3 cup blackberries in a small food processor. Press the mixture through a fine mesh strainer to rid the seeds. This will leave you with a couple Tbs of puree.
- In a large bowl with handheld or stand mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together until creamy ( I have tried both regular and vegan options and both work well).
- Add confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, blackberry puree, and salt.
- Beat on low for 30 seconds then switch to high speed for 2 minutes
- Frost cooled cupcakes and garnish with remaining blackberries.